Friday, October 14, 2016

Who They Want

Courtesy: UNHCR/Dominic Nahr

This is the seventh in a poetry series created from lyrics of musical classics.
The piece you are about to read begins with the seventh line of the song “Easy” by Lionel Richie.

Everybody wants me to be who they want me to be.
But I’m just swingin’ and making merry being myself.
They talk such trash around me it’s hard to imagine
Not feeling put away like a bird stuck in its cage cell
But I defined myself for myself no doubt cause I am
This close to decoding an overdrive translation of me,
They spit every answer in the form of a questionnaire
It’s complicated to escape but ama stand and stay free,
And stay true to the original plan it’s the only way I see
Myself crossing that river leaving behind this negativity,
Until I pull all the plugs I’ll never really dig the reason
Everybody wants me to be who they want me to be.

Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!