Friday, March 6, 2015

Postikum


I'm just a face in the crowd.
But I see friendships that might have been;
Smiles that would’ve smoothed out the crease on my brow.
I ease my mind into fickle wishful thinking
And let it wander where human dignity still holds a charm.
And right there, at the center of all radiance is us;
Just us two, bragging and shoving and fearing no harm.
Then reality crashes in like foam-tipped breakers on the shore;

I hear your screams rise from within a fiery grave.
I hear you yell out my name but I am M.I.A.
I see you grope with burning rage for aid that never came;
I feel the deathly heat as your lungs burst, from a distant place.
The terror gnaws at my heart and threatens to rip it out.
You thought I had your back but I'm the one who let you down.
You thrust out charred limbs and clawed at the empty air
What I had to do was grab your hand but I was not there.

I see dead people strewn like waste disposed of at a landfill;
I see young destinies six feet deep in a grave of dreams.
So I scribbled a line to you in that place I cannot yet come,
A monument of words flung up through the voice of one.
I'm just a face in the crowd.
If I’m dead to you it’s because you’re out cold;
If you’re dead to me I should hang with Shekau
How I remember you molds how my story unfolds.

Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!