Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day 3: Library




Inspired by the words of the legendary artist, Picasso who said, "Give me a museum and I'll fill it."


Give me a library
And I’ll fill it.
Shelves stacked ceiling high with stirring memories;
Piles on piles of resonant lyrics.
I will illuminate the reading room with flame of my inner mystery;
Paint a panorama of personal odyssey on the ceiling.
And seal every word with the throb of my heart like a stamp.
Give me one moment in time
And I will illustrate the details in a grain of sand.
I will lay out the rhymes line by line
And know glee as the vowels fall to the page.
Give me a pen and I’ll write off mortality
And explode off the page.

Give me a slip of paper,
And I’ll pull off a caper.
One word chasing the other and that another each falling into a set pattern.
I’ll fill the hollows of nature with the sound of my utterance.
Give me weeds running amuck in a nursery
And I’ll invent a garden made entirely of verse.
Give me a journal spiraled and empty
And I will give the roaring of the sea moment of pause.
Give me my vital breathing space
And I will deal out exotic verbs,
Interweave each delicate syllable like a lace.

The whole world is my papyrus.
And I will carve annals on its surface in glittering hieroglyphs.
I’ll reproduce the silence of the river right before it busts over the cliffs
And morphs into waterfalls. I’ll translate to words the groans of the geyser
One moment before it gushes out the earth’s bowels in a furious shower.
Give me a set of watercolors
And I’ll stipple a fairytale on a canvas of reality.
I’ll walk the extent of inspiration’s corridors,
And explore the minute properties of ingenuity.
Until I sip on the nectar of limitless fecundity.
And then, it’ll start all over again;
Every day will be the first day.

Give me one minute
And I’ll stretch the breadth of each millisecond to infinity.
Give me a grain of sand,
And I’ll write a library.
I’ll make each volume grand,
As exquisite as a collection of antiques in a gallery.
Give me the sum-total of nothingness
I will take it and craft the beauty of lilies.
Give me grime, a dime and time
It’s all I require to teach a soul to fly.
Give me the meekness of a dog
And the greatness of a god
And long after I’m gone, the world will remember “I was here.”
Give me a broken chord
And I’ll weave the Ekpo dance till heaven draws near;
Speed up the displacement reaction in the atmosphere.
Give me the clouds
And I’ll erase the skyline with perpetual sculptures;
Aeonian monuments whose auras reach out,
Day after day hanging up there like cosmic infrastructures.

Give me innocence
I’ll reinvent Michelangelo’s David.
Straddle a morsel of persistence
I'll shoot for the stars and this feeling is fervid.
My tomorrows nudge me with promises of good things.
Give me an oracle
And I’ll prophecy to the four winds
And from the womb spit mysteries to the last article.

Give me a soul
And I’ll make angels wish they’re human;
Let me resolve
The remaining puzzle that completes the glory of man.
Give me a room and a door
And I’ll set to writing until I drop.
Give me tomorrow
And I’ll reverse the earth’s revolution with the force of my goals.
Give me here and now
And I'll raze Mt. Vesuvius to the ground.
I came to give all I received.
I will depart this plane when I’m given.

Give me a library, if you dare;
And I’ll go to the grave my mind emptied, my palms bared.



Akpan



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!