Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 15: Incidentals

Photo: stratogen.net

What if I could fly
But my wings were wax in a thermal sky?
What if I could race across the Sahara
But my feet were like a painted terrapin’s flipper?
And what if I had the power to invent a new civilization
But my IQ was of prehistoric variation?

What if I could spit poetry like Virgil
But the sound of my voice was an alligator’s tranquil?
And what if I was feet to the stars
But my dream to be a legend was stalked by a fragile heart?
And what if I was the seal of authority
Yet kept up a vagrant clueless about my nobility?

And if I could skip 1,000 walls
But my assurances don’t jibe with my balls?
What use would that be, if I took a fall?
What if I relished a unique personal fantasy
Yet was scared witless of facing the incidental ecstasy?
What if I could anticipate seeds of the future in events of the past

Yet came short of coherence to watch it come to pass?
What if I could explode into a million seeds
But faltered when confronted by the impact?
What if the detail of my future was the beauty of paradise
Yet I couldn’t begin one day at a time?
And what if I could live the extraordinary life

But copped out for suicide?
What if I could alter the aftermath in these lines
Yet I’d rather not give it a try?
And what if I never mentioned it outright
Would you have seen the you represented in the I?
Would you detect the lie behind which you did hide?



Akpan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!