Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gettin' Up Stayed On My Mind

Photo Credit: Flickr.com

Each time the wind blows, I hear the voices of you ripping the silence of the seas;
Preaching a specie of submission which achieves the victory of hope. And
Gettin' up stayed on my mind.

I open up my eyes seized by a million stares of reality;
I visualize pathogens of impossibility breeding in my vital breathing space,
Invading the air I exhale.
Arsenal of low self-esteem got my faculty beleaguered,
Intent on crippling the makings of me. And
Gettin' up stayed on my mind.

I battled inspired lions three times my size
In a depth of willful exile
And my course dug deep into the belly of the beast and of course,
Gettin’ up stayed on my mind.

It's the trials of Bro. Jero
And I am the tragic hero.
Nobody knows my struggles; my state of mind is no longer at ease.
It seems the last of my dying strength fizzled away on the resurrection morning. Still
Gettin’ up stayed on my mind.

Since I came to be in this position, I could sketch you hate diagrams eye-witnessed on the streets;
Tales of men who by convention oughta stand but fell to their knees to beg bread that's stone.
I could begin by picking pieces of shattered dreams, ghetto dreams and hopes
Sunk in the depths of Acheron never to be retrieved.
Here I stand, washed ashore-survivor of a faith shipwrecked,
Stealing a vision of better days on strange shores ' cause
Gettin’ up stayed on my mind!

My story is the apocalypse painted on battered canvas.
The ink is the sorrow mingled tears of an orphaned longing.
But history will remember me ‘cause as a child
Gettin’ up stayed on my mind.

I got an ace up my sleeve ‘cause I have a dream.
And even though it seems I lost the silver platter,
I'll let no sleep to my eyes nor waste a sweat on my brow
Till my destiny comes thro.
Not even if I have to carry a mountain on my shoulders
While swimming an ocean. And when my days on earth
Is done known to all will be this startling truth:
Gettin’ up stayed on my mind.

Akpan


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!