Friday, December 10, 2010

How You Can Write Poetry II

Poetry is reflecting what you feel deep inside (usually, in written form but not confined to it).

That’s about all that this piece’s about; the inward release that leads to the creation of a higher form of writing. I do hope I can pull it off in this second installment then, I can really call this a wrap.

Early on, in the first part of this article, I remember going on about varying degrees of mastery as the rock that trips many beginner poets. I intend to slap some flesh on that skeletal frame. If you can understand perfection as a process, as a quality that comes by keeping your nose to the grind it shouldn’t take you a second to figure out why your initial attempts at writing poems suck. Sometimes, a wild stab could create something of a beauty, like a toddler draws squiggly worms running his fingers through beach sand. A sudden gust of inspiration works that kind of magic, but occasions are rare and that’s where personal effort takes the helm. In time, you will discover what works and what doesn’t and most importantly, you will find a voice of your own from that moment on it is smooth sailing.

Reading inspired poetry does rub off on you if you read with an intensity befitting a seeker, an individual searching between the lines, riding the lilts of cadence as he seeks to unravel the passion that drove the poet persona.

As a child learning to write poetry, a major setback of mine derived from the fact nobody wanted to hear me recite verse. They would rather have me sing the same words. So, I start scribbling a line of poetry then, the nagging voice of the majority stomping in, “why allow such beautiful words go to waste on a poem nobody gives a rolling doughnut about?” That was all it took to make me change my mind and force a tune on the piece. I did write a few verses though, but I never quite got over trying to see how it would sound if it was sung and not recited.

These few years have witnessed me read my poems aloud. Hearing yourself read your stanzas builds a kind of confidence within you that otherwise can’t be achieved anywhere else but there’s more as your writer’s voice begins to acquire an edge of authority.

Writing poetry ought to be piecemeal if you know how to play with words. And piecemeal refers not to the value of the piece but the very act of writing the poem.

I would suggest a preference of freeverse, take a deep interest in this form of poetry and you will be off to a good start. Freeverse sort of takes the lid off the rules. It adopts all the elements of poetry, yet you are not obliged to obey rules. Your writing doesn’t necessarily require a uniform metric flow. Metaphor, cadence, and a mastery of pun are vital to create a free form of verse, that’s almost all you will need. Rhyme is allowed but not demanded and you can make your stuff as long (or as short) as you choose. The rules are there are no rules.

Lying, thinking
Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don’t believe I’m wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone
                       
Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone
Maya Angelou,
Alone

Forget about rules for a change and let the individual on the inside express him/herself through the written word. And you are sure to discover it’s a piece of cake.

Keep your pen bleeding!


Akpan


Helpful Links:


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedbacks welcome and appreciated.

Free counters!